Tom Lane napsal(a):
Zdenek Kotala <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
Martijn van Oosterhout napsal(a):
Not necessarily. pg_class is not shared yet without it you can't even
find pg_database. Same deal with pg_type. All it means is that
pg_collation in template1 must contain all the collations used in
template1, which shouldn't be hard to arrange.

I think, Collation situation is different,

All the argument here is based on the premise that we should have
database-level collation specifications, which AFAICS is not required
nor suggested by the SQL spec.

Yeah, it is not required, but by my opinion it should be derived from CREATE SCHEMA statement. There is following item:

--- SQL ANSI 2003 page 520 ---

5) If <schema character set specification> is not specified, then a <schema character set specification> that specifies an implementation-defined character set that contains at least every character that is in <SQL language character> is implicit.

----

It is not for collation directly, but if I understand it correctly when you want to create schema then default charset is inherit from parent instance which is database (catalog).

Following sentence specified that pg_collation should be database specific.

---- SQL ANSI 2003 page 15 ---
Character sets defined by standards or by SQL-implementations reside in the Information Schema (named INFORMATION_SCHEMA) in each catalog, as do collations defined by standards and collations, transliterations, and transcodings defined by SQL-implementations.
----

> I wonder why we are allowing a
> nonstandard half-measure to drive our thinking, rather than solving the
> real problem which is column-level collations.

I try to determine how to implement collation itself - collation catalog structure and content and how to create new collation. Column-level collation is nice but until we will not have basic infrastructure we cannot start implemented it.

                Zdenek

--
Zdenek Kotala              Sun Microsystems
Prague, Czech Republic     http://sun.com/postgresql