Andrew Dunstan napsal(a):

Tom Lane wrote:

All the argument here is based on the premise that we should have
database-level collation specifications, which AFAICS is not required
nor suggested by the SQL spec.  I wonder why we are allowing a
nonstandard half-measure to drive our thinking, rather than solving the
real problem which is column-level collations.

Agreed. Are we even sure that we want per-database collations as a half-way house? Unless we can be sure that we want all the required catalog changes for the full requirement, it seems to me a rather messy way of getting to where we want to go.

Andrew,
I would like also to see full collation implementation rather then collation per database. But from my point of view split collation into small parts is much better. Radek's work is mostly about creating infrastructure for full collation support. When it will be finished, then "only" changes in parser, executor... will be necessary to complete a job.

If you look on most discussion about collation they fell into ICU yes/no problem without any real decision how to implemented the feature.

                Zdenek

--
Zdenek Kotala              Sun Microsystems
Prague, Czech Republic     http://sun.com/postgresql