Jonah H. Harris wrote:
On 8/4/06, Andrew Dunstan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
It's a pity that some expectations have been raised about features that
we haven't seen patches for, MERGE/UPSERT & recursive queries

Honestly, I've only had four people say it would be nice to have
hierarchical queries (one of them wasn't even a PostgreSQL user).

You obviously aren't dealing with the number of people I am :) I get this question all the time.

I agree.  The real problem is that we don't look at things in a
business-like, "what are we going to have in the next release"
perspective.  Being as it's an OSS community, we just see what patches
come in and we apply what we choose... then pick which ones we see as
"major features" and announce them.

I'd like to be mistaken here, but I don't think we've ever really had
release planning in regards to features.  We can always sit down after
8.2 is finalized and plan what are we doing for 8.3 and go from there.

The only way we will get even a reasonable about of release planning is for the commercial entities involved around PostgreSQL to put a lot more resources into actually developing PostgreSQL.

Joshua D. Drake

             http://www.commandprompt.com/

TIP 2: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster