matt wrote:
> > Are you *sure* about that????  3K updates/inserts per second xlates
> > to 10,800,000 per hour.  That, my friend, is a WHOLE HECK OF A LOT!
>
> Yup, I know!

Just a data point, but on my Dual Xeon 2.4Gig machine with a 10k SCSI
drive I can do 4k inserts/second if I turn fsync off.  If you have a
battery-backed controller, you should be able to do the same.  (You will
not need to turn fsync off --- fsync will just be fast because of the
disk drive RAM).

Am I missing something?

TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster