> On 19 Sep 2016, at 4:03 , Henrik Johansen <henrik.s.johan...@veloxit.no>
> wrote:
>

>> On 17 Sep 2016, at 4:17 , Ben Coman <b...@openinworld.com
>> <mailto:b...@openinworld.com>> wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, Sep 17, 2016 at 3:45 AM, Nicolai Hess <nicolaih...@gmail.com
>> <mailto:nicolaih...@gmail.com>> wrote:

>>> We can try this as well. And it is far more easier to work with this
>>> expressions if they are pragma arguments, than to parse the comment to find
>>> some code within.
>>> On the other hand, it looks much nicer if we have the examples right in the
>>> method doc. you have some text describing the method, some code, some more
>>> text about the reslt.

>>> Yes, I would like to change this anyway, even for literal arrays for ffi,
>>> calls like
>>>
>>> mouseStateX: x y: y
>>>    <primitive: #primitiveNativeCall module: #NativeBoostPlugin error:
>>> errorCode>
>>>    ^ self nbCall: #( Uint32 SDL_GetMouseState ( int* x , int* y ) )
>>>
>>> this will be reformatted to
>>>
>>> mouseStateX: x y: y
>>>    <primitive: #primitiveNativeCall module: #NativeBoostPlugin error:
>>> 'errorCode'>
>>>    ^ self nbCall: #(#Uint32 #SDL_GetMouseState #(#int #* #x #, #int #* #y))
>>
>> errr, yuck!  Thats not pretty at all.  Is there some way to avoid
>> that?  As I've been getting started with FFI its been really nice
>> visually to see a *direct* correspondence between the C header file
>> declaration and the in-Image method.
>
> +1, that's about the main thought behind it...
> As long as the only required use of a # inside of literal arrays is
> differentiating whether something is a literal string or symbol, changing to
> format *all* symbols using it seems somewhat overzealous.
>
> Personally, if a solution using method properties/+ browser improvements to
> show/create them in a good way is out of the question,
> I have a weakness for using empty blocks as method-local, syntax-highlighted
> code comments (at least compared to special comment syntax, or pragmas backed
> by a whole literal -> ST parser).
> Though lately, the code critic (rightly, and very usefully, in the cases
> where it's a user error) points out they are dead code, and the IR optimizes
> them out entirely, meaning they miss out on senders/implementors/refactorings
> functionality. (Full blocks would potentially let us change the IR to leave
> them alone, put them in the literal slot and be searchable, at no additional
> runtime-cost/use in bytecodes)
>
> Cheers,
> Henry

Now imagine if tags were scoped, and you could do

Number >>  #+ aNumber
<prim ....>
[ <insertInlineExampleTagNameHere> 3 + 4 == 7 ].
^self fallbackAdd: aNumber

And have the browser pick it up, and either
- collapse it
- display text with alpha < 1

Make the code critic aware as well, and no more warnings of unused blocks when
used for examples!

Cheers,
Henry