"Jani Taskinen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> On Sun, 2 Jun 2002, Sebastian Bergmann wrote:
>
>     So what really ARE the needs of more advanced developers?
>     (I'm starting to sound like a broken record now :)
>
>     --Jani

Hi,

I like the PHP language the way it is with some exceptions.  Private members
and methods are essential from a security view-point, and perhaps
application variables, but that's about it.  My main problem with PHP's
direction is that it seems stuck at the low-end of the corporate world.

Let me explain. I'm developing extranets with PHP and occasionally I get a
checklist of required features from a customer. Features such as:

 - clustering,
 - management of server farms,
 - transparent fail-over,
 - load balancing
 - application deployment without restarting server
 - advanced queueing
 - database connection pooling

I believe that many of these features should probably not be part of the
language, or are already available as separate libraries or can be
implemented without modifying PHP, as Smarty has proved with templates.
However there is no one central resource that explains where you can find
the knowledge or source code to implement this. Is there any company
addressing all these issues. Let me know!

For example, one spec I had to comply for a recent proposal was - NO SINGLE
POINT OF FAILURE. I looked at msession and I asked myself, does it provide
support for a backup session server on failover? Reading the docs, I think
not. Of course a database-backed session handler can provide failover
support, but where can I get proven tested code that I know is reliable
without having to write it myself?

Does this mean that when i become more successful and get larger clients
with Enterprise requirements I have to abandon PHP and switch to Java or
MS.NET? I hope not.

Regards, John