--- [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> On Mon, 3 Jun 2002, brad lafountain wrote:
>
> >  I'm bother by the fact that you guys keep on saying Php isn't Java so
> don't
> > use lets not use private methods or interfaces. Java is Object Oriented.
> Java
> > didn't invent private methods, private members and all the other goodies
> that
> > go along with OO development. Now good OO design is the best way to get
> good
> > code re-use out of your time developing. Adding stuff that will help you
> design
> > better objects like private methods will only make php stronger and more
> > accecptable as a OO soultion.
>
> PHP isn't an OO solution, PHP is a just a tool for a problem. If you think
> that solving webscripting problems with OO 'solutions' is the 'only' way
> to do it then you should use Java as a tool. And you can use a procedural
> aproach for webscripting too, or an OO aproach implemented in a procedural
> language.

 I wasn't saying that OO is the only way to solve the problem. To me OO
soultion is not only cleaner/eaiser to read but it makes a libary eaiser to
use. I'm not talking about just webscripting. Having better OO support will
allow libary designers to be able to create more re-useable Objects for
scripting or application server or gui components.

It's kinda frustrating to me, I like php alot and php defintly has the
potentional to be used for a wide virity of soultions. Then you guys are going
back and forth saying that OO design has a minimanl affect on the community and
that OO is clutter. Responses like if you want good OO support use Java? What
is that. Why do you say these things. The php/zend engine is pretty damn strong
why are you guys looking at it so narrowly. I honistly would like to see php
become a more popular soulition than Java in every siuation. Enterprise,
websites, or a eye doctor for an internal applicaiton. And i can be.

When people at work ask me "how long would it take do to x". I first think how
long it would take me to do in php. Php is my first tool of choice.

Php isn't java but i think it can be way better than java too.

 - Brad