Hi Rasmus,

Trying to write inline, so I don't miss your question.

> Why do you want the folder name to be named assets itself ?
>
> The folder has to have a name - "assets" seemed like the logical choice.
>
> Perhaps what you're really wondering is, why a single folder and not a
> map like in the Aura library?
>
> Because it's simpler. A map would require more than a standard - it
> would require at least a configuration file format specification,
> and/or possible a library or interfaces.

What we followed was just an array, no other format.

[
 'vendor/package/css/hello.css' => dirname(dirname(__DIR__)) .
'/asset/css/test.css',
 'vendor/package' => dirname(dirname(__DIR__)) . '/asset',
]

> Also, because we learned from doing something similar at work, that
> being able to symlink vendored asset folders into the project's public
> asset folder is really useful

- it enables you to run an installation
> script once, and the continue to add more files to the vendor
> packages, since every file in the symlinked folder becomes
> automatically available.

Symlink may be easy. I was not using symbolic link and the files were
served via psr-7 response though. It lacks caching and stuffs like that for
now.

> Another reason is that a map cannot be interpreted or resolved at
> design-time, by the browser - things like source-maps of relative
> paths fall apart, since the relative public URLs do not map directly
> to physical files. This is perhaps the main reason we came up with
> this approach - anything else has proven to be highly impractical to
> work with. Having to run a build or deploy script between every change
> is cumbersome.

Ya, the approaches choosen to serve the files is a bit different. You
follow symlink, we followed directly looking at filesystem and reading the
contents and serving as psr-7 Response .

> Finally, the length or appearance of asset URLs is typically
> completely irrelevant - about as irrelevant as the physical
> file-system structure is to Composer packages. For the most part, no
> person will ever see the URL of your CSS or JS files - wanting shorter
> or neater URLs is purely vanity, it has no practical consequence.
> Having a simple, predictable URL structure that prevents collissions,
> is much more valuable than having pretty URLs.

I have no trouble with the length of the url. Not sure if someone else
asked the same.