On Wed, 2010-02-17 at 00:29 +0000, Nathan Rixham wrote:

> Manuel Lemos wrote:

> >> Manuel,
> >>
> >> I'm sure there are some very talented people on your site (and in the
> >> community) - one slight problem though, I won't use you're website under
> >> any circumstance (been there, done that).
> >>
> >> You make every interaction with your site a horrible, painful
> >> interaction that is purely there to get as many adverts as you can in
> >> front of people, so that you can bleed every cent possible from the hard
> >> work and effort of PHP developers and innocent users. In short, you take
> >> advantage of your users, members and the PHP community - I've never seen
> >> such a bold and ongoing attempt to profit on the hard work and good will
> >> of PHP developers, ever, period.
> >
> > There seems to be a misunderstanding here.
> >
> > The PHPClasses.org site was created by me in 1999 with the purpose of
> > making it easy to distribute my PHP classes so others could test them
> > and send bug reports and suggestions.
> >
> > Then I thought it would be nice to let others also share their code
> > there to do the same, if they want of course. Back then, there was no
> > advertising or any sort of monetization of the site.
> >
> > Meanwhile the site has grown a lot. Now it has over 850.000 registered
> > users. Initially it could run on a shared hosting, but since many years
> > ago it needs dedicated servers. Hiring dedicated servers costs good
> > money as you know.
> >
> > In 2002 I had to choose, either to dedicate to the site full time to
> > moderate the new site content and develop the features that it needed to
> > better serve the PHP developers, or shut the site down for good because
> > I would not have the time to take a day job and maintain the site at the
> > same time.
> >

> > I took the chance and decided to work on the site full time. But I had
> > to find some way to make it generate revenue, basically turn it into a
> > full time business.
> >
> > My first option was to provide a package of premium services for a small
> > subscription fee. I placed a survey asking the users about services they
> > could be willing to pay.
> >
> > http://www.phpclasses.org/blog/post/10-Paid-site-services-survey.html
> >
> > That was a good idea but it would take me a lot of time to develop the
> > planned services. So the alternative option that was available was to
> > put advertising.
> >
> > I do not like advertising because it slows down page loading and
> > distracts users from the real content. But over the time, if it was not
> > for advertising the site would have been shut down a long time ago.
> >
> > After a lot of time and development effort, in 2007 I finally was able
> > to launch the planned premium services.
> >
> > http://www.phpclasses.org/blog/post/68-Launched-premium-services-for-PHP-developers.html
> >
> > Premium services help in generating nice revenue, but honestly it is not
> > a big deal. Not only I have to keep the advertising, I also need to seek
> > other sources of revenue.

> [...]

I think the design probably doesn't lend itself to the best of
perceptions, but as Manuel explained, that is soon to change.

I myself do find the site confusing to navigate, which doesn't always
help when looking for a PHP class to fit in a project that's already
going to a tight deadline. I wasn't aware of the other parts of the
site, but I can understand a paid model for the job section, which
essentially makes it behave a little like an agency.

With charging for the open source items, that does seem a little
old-fashioned. What about allowing the contributors to offer up paid
support for their code, with the site taking a cut. Charging for the
support and documentation of an open-source system is a model that seems
quite popular in the open source world (look at a lot of Linux distros,
for example). You'll still have people being a bit tight and not wanting
to pay, but there will be more people (I think) that would want to pay
for the documentation if it was reasonably priced.

In fact, a system like that could possibly improve the state of
documentation for some systems.

Thanks,
Ash
http://www.ashleysheridan.co.uk