.
Thank you for the heads up on using like.  I was wondering since there will
be 2 similar variables from each page var1 var2 (identical except for the
number).  I programmed in DataFlex for about 6 years back in the late 80's
early 90's but have not done anything db wise in over 8 years....  I still
do not know where the problem was (maybe syntax or spelling....)

Again, thank you for all of your help...

Mike

"Kurt Lieber" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
E15yxVD-0005ls-00@z8">news:E15yxVD-0005ls-00@z8...
> On Wednesday 31 October 2001 02:32 am, you wrote:
> > So, I'd recommend giving that a try.  From my understanding (limited) of
> > MySQL, use = in the case of $id=2, and LIKE in the case of firstName
> > LIKE "justin".
>
> Um...you *can* do that, but I don't think you want to.  Using LIKE means
that
> MySQL has to do a lot more searching on all your database records.
Instead