This discussion thread hasn't explicitly spelled out the scope of the
cache, but I've been assuming that we're intending it to endure from
module init to module shutdown. In other words, depending on the SAPI,
the cache entries may be available to multiple independent SCA
programs, sequentially and simultaneously.

Did I get this wrong? I can see how the interface you describe would
work for a request-scoped or possibly thread-scoped cache. But it
doesn't feel right to me to hand out the task of key management to
uncoordinated applications. Imagine if everyone used the same key
string that's in the example code snippet :-) Please put me right.