On Fri, 4 Aug 2017, John Jason Jordan wrote:

> LO dropped support for Type 1 fonts - I was unaware of this, but I just
> checked and sure enough, none of my Type 1 fonts can be selected in
> Writer (4.2.8.2 on Xubuntu 14.04). Fortunately I rarely use them any
> more, and they still appear in Scribus.

   Here's another (untested) solution posted in response to my thread on
linuxquestions.org:

"You can switch to the old engine in the menu: Tools > Options > Advanced.
Then click Open Expert Configuration, search for TextLayoutEngine, and
double-click the result ? change it to "old", save and restart LibreOffice."

   Today I'm converting all Type1d and TrueType fonts to OTF using the 2015
version of fontforge.

Rich