On Tue, Mar 6, 2018 at 11:14 AM, Chris Wood <ch...@tincreek.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 6, 2018 at 9:36 AM, Eric Olsen <falc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > not Linux-related, I apologize, however we're a group of experts so I'm
> > hoping someone here will have an answer.
> >
> > I have Utopia, I got in when they would allow paying a (reasonably)
> higher
> > price to own the hardware rather than lease it. The hardware is limited
> > 100Mbps, and Utopia is upgrading their infrastructure. To take advantage
> of
> > this Utopia is providing an upgrade, but for lease - I may have read
> > there's a way to purchase, but this option is a couple/few thousand
> dollars
> > (for a $100 piece of hardware plus installation?).
> >
> > I'm hoping there's a way I can get the connection to work without
> > leased-hardware, or paying thousands. I purchased a Ubiquity fiber
> gateway,
> > if it doesn't work I don't mind buying the same hardware Utopia is using.
> > The old hardware had a weird way of connecting the fiber - it didn't
> have a
> > standard connector, you had to strip the fiber and hook it in directly
> > somehow. So I need a connection that will fit the new hardware. If you
> know
> > someone who is good at terminating fiber I'd appreciate if you'd pass
> along
> > their contact info, or pass mine to them.
> >
> > Also, if you're familiar with Utopia and know this won't work please let
> me
> > know before I break it and have to have them come out and fix it (and
> > probably force me into the lease).
>
> Here's a whole bunch of random thoughts that may not be helpful at all.
>
> I would guess your speed is throttled to what you are paying for and
> it's not only hardware dependent.  I had the 100M connection, then I
> jumped to the 250M which required a hardware swap like you are
> talking.  For Xmission customers, I believe they moved everyone to the
> new hardware and 250 mb no matter what their original plan was (no
> price change).  I later switched to 1gig and that involved simply a
> configuration change on their end -- no hardware change (that leads me
> to think it is throttled somewhere).
>
> I also know they have some configuration ability of the device in your
> house.  There are multiple ports on that device -- one may be
> configured for voip (if you're buying that service from them) while
> another is configured for straight internet.  It's also interesting
> that they seem to be house address specific and less 'who are you
> specific' so I'm guessing they are tying a physical hardware device to
> an address.
>
> Anyway, that's a long way of saying you may get their new device for
> free and still be at your current speed and then you would need to pay
> more for more speed.  If you're not on Xmission with Utopia -- check
> it out.  It will make you smarter, better looking, and more popular.

> [...]

Thanks for the thoughts, Chris. I am on XMission as well. I forget if it
was in a chat with their tech support, or in one of their announcement
emails, but they informed us that the lowest speed would be 250M for the
same price, but to get it would require a hardware upgrade otherwise I'm
limited by my hardware to 100M. I looked into it to verify that my gateway
is limited to 100M, it's an Allied Telesyn (Telesis?) AT-iMG646BD, and it
is.

Thanks,
Eric F. Olsen