On Wed, Mar 7, 2018, at 10:21 PM, Eric Olsen wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 6, 2018 at 11:02 PM, <m...@dev-zero.net> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Mar 6, 2018, at 9:36 AM, Eric Olsen wrote:
> > > The old hardware had a weird way of connecting the fiber - it didn't
> > have a
> > > standard connector, you had to strip the fiber and hook it in directly
> > > somehow. So I need a connection that will fit the new hardware.
> >
> > i'm pretty sure that older utopia CPE equipment uses a standard SC fiber
> > connector. this is different from the LC connector that you find on sfp or
> > sfp+ modules commonly found in a datacenter.
> >
> > i also just chatted with someone who has the newer zhone devices and got
> > the model number from it. the specs for that device also seems to be a SC
> > connector though it lists a SC UPC connector. i don't know if a SC
> > transceiver can be connected to a cable with a SC UPC connector (the cable
> > coming from utopia). that's something that would need more research. the
> > other thing is that they use bi-directional transceivers that allow for tx
> > and rx on the same fiber. fs.com lists several sfp bidi transceivers that
> > could potentially work that are in the $10-$20 range.
> >
> > that isn't a complete set of information to complete replacing the utopia
> > gear with your own but it might point you in the right direction.
> >
> > mike
>

> Thanks, Mike! I haven't done a lot of research on fiber and didn't know
> there's an SC, LC, and apparently a bunch of others. As it turns out, the
> Ubiquity fiber gateway (UFiber Loco) uses SC-APC. If I understand
> correctly, the SC would be related to the signal, and the UPC/APC is simply
> different ends; UPC being (mostly) flat at the cut, and APC angled. In case
> it doesn't work out however, would you mind passing along the Zhone model
> number?

i'm told the model number of it is znid-ge-2424-na.

i did some searching for the ubiquity ufiber loco and i'm only finding devices
that are GPON, or Gigabit Passive Optical Network. you aren't going to be able
to use that on utopia. GPON uses a different protocol on top of the physical
later. utopia uses regular ethernet, at least according to the specs for that
device. it'd be like both sides having a telephone line that connect each other
but one side is speaking english and the other side speaking chinese. this
isn't something that can be fixed by just changing a transceiver. it just
converts an electrical signal to an optical one. the device actually knows the
protocol. as an aside, GPON is what google fiber uses. it allows for a provider
to connect multiple customers to a single transceiver in the providers
equipment. saves a little money at the expense of sharing bandwidth between
customer.

the various fiber connectors are just that. physical connectors. you can
usually find cables with different connectors on each end for different
connections being used. for example, a SC to LC cable can be used to connect
transceivers with the different connectors. now the apc vs upc vs pc vs normal
thing is new to me. you wouldn't be able to use a cable with a SC APC connector
with a transceiver that has a normal SC connector. i'm not entirely sure on
whether upc, pc, or normal are interchangeable.

hopefully i didn't just ruin your day.

mike

/*