On Tue, Mar 6, 2018, at 9:36 AM, Eric Olsen wrote:
> The old hardware had a weird way of connecting the fiber - it didn't have a
> standard connector, you had to strip the fiber and hook it in directly
> somehow. So I need a connection that will fit the new hardware.

i'm pretty sure that older utopia CPE equipment uses a standard SC fiber
connector. this is different from the LC connector that you find on sfp or sfp+
modules commonly found in a datacenter.

i also just chatted with someone who has the newer zhone devices and got the
model number from it. the specs for that device also seems to be a SC connector
though it lists a SC UPC connector. i don't know if a SC transceiver can be
connected to a cable with a SC UPC connector (the cable coming from utopia).
that's something that would need more research. the other thing is that they
use bi-directional transceivers that allow for tx and rx on the same fiber.
fs.com lists several sfp bidi transceivers that could potentially work that are
in the $10-$20 range.

that isn't a complete set of information to complete replacing the utopia gear
with your own but it might point you in the right direction.

mike

/*