On Tue, Mar 6, 2018 at 11:02 PM, <m...@dev-zero.net> wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 6, 2018, at 9:36 AM, Eric Olsen wrote:
> > The old hardware had a weird way of connecting the fiber - it didn't
> have a
> > standard connector, you had to strip the fiber and hook it in directly
> > somehow. So I need a connection that will fit the new hardware.
>
> i'm pretty sure that older utopia CPE equipment uses a standard SC fiber
> connector. this is different from the LC connector that you find on sfp or
> sfp+ modules commonly found in a datacenter.
>
> i also just chatted with someone who has the newer zhone devices and got
> the model number from it. the specs for that device also seems to be a SC
> connector though it lists a SC UPC connector. i don't know if a SC
> transceiver can be connected to a cable with a SC UPC connector (the cable
> coming from utopia). that's something that would need more research. the
> other thing is that they use bi-directional transceivers that allow for tx
> and rx on the same fiber. fs.com lists several sfp bidi transceivers that
> could potentially work that are in the $10-$20 range.
>
> that isn't a complete set of information to complete replacing the utopia
> gear with your own but it might point you in the right direction.
>
> mike

Thanks, Mike! I haven't done a lot of research on fiber and didn't know
there's an SC, LC, and apparently a bunch of others. As it turns out, the
Ubiquity fiber gateway (UFiber Loco) uses SC-APC. If I understand
correctly, the SC would be related to the signal, and the UPC/APC is simply
different ends; UPC being (mostly) flat at the cut, and APC angled. In case
it doesn't work out however, would you mind passing along the Zhone model
number?

/*