I agree that it depends on what is the purpose of the course. It also depends on
available course time. In practice, the objects-first approach requires lots of
training time and pays off only in the long run.

For example: global variables are bad style, but it is hard to get students
tell the
difference between a global variable and an object field. I often see students
use
fields to pass the result of an operation (method) to another operation.

If the students are absolute beginners, algorithms take precedence over
structure
and design. I would give priority to teaching array processing over the
distinction
between a local variable and an object field. Of the languages you mention, this
points to C.

Unless you have a specific reason for considering it, my advice is: forget C++
:-)

My 2 cents (FYI, I'm about to leave on holiday, so I won't be able to keep
contributing to the discussion, sorry)

--
Miguel P. Monteiro          | cell phone +351 96 700 35 45
Departamento de Informatica | Phone +351 21 294 8536 ext. 10708