Jan Erik Moströ m writes:
 > On 09-04-06 at 11.10, Bennett Kankuzi <bfkank...@gmail.com> wrote:
 >
 > Personally I would consider what the purpose of the course is,
 > what do you expect the kids to learn. My opinion is that it's
 > the problem solving part that's important and that's what they
 > should learn ... the programming language is just a specific
 > notation for their solution.

I agree.

 > So assuming that it's problem solving part that is of importance
 > then you only have to give them an easy way of writing down
 > their solution ... which pretty much rule out all three of these
 > languages :-D

Definitely none of those three.  My suggestion is Scheme, for several
reasons including:

 * simple syntax and semantics

 * a well-known and (I think) well-regarded textbook, "Structure and
   Interpretation of Computer Programs", which is aimed at teaching
   programming rather than just teaching a programming language.  It's
   by the designers of the language, and it's also available on-line
   free of charge http://mitpress.mit.edu/sicp/

 * instructors' manual available

 * an introductory course of video lectures by the designers,
   downloadable free of charge -- even if you don't use them directly
   it might save some time in preparing your own lecture series
   http://groups.csail.mit.edu/mac/classes/6.001/abelson-sussman-lectures/

 * a choice of implementations, including a specifically
   student-friendly one (DrScheme on http://www.plt-scheme.org/software/)

 * the language is simple enough that its internals can be taught at
   undergraduate level, giving an introduction to programming language
   implementation

__John