From: Kari Laitinen [mailto:kari.laiti...@oamk.fi]
Sent: 07 April 2009 10:50
To: Bennett Kankuzi
Cc: Ppig-Discuss-List
Subject: Re: Choice of introductory programming language to a freshman
class

    It indeed seems that there is no consensus over
    what is a good language to start studying computer
    programming.

    I think that almost any language will do when only
    the basic things are taught. On the page
      http://www.naturalprogramming.com/all_example_programs.html
    I provide about 100 simple programs written with four
    different languages. If a student studies, say,
    the Java programs, he or she should be able to easily
    move to other languages by using different program
    versions.

    Another important question is that what a student
    should know before he or she starts studying
    computer programming. I think it is important to
    understand how a COMPUTER works before one starts
    studying COMPUTER programming. To study the basics
    of computing, I provide a very simple computer at
      http://www.naturalprogramming.com/IC8/index_for_ic8.html

    With this simple computer it is possible, in less than
    10 hours, to explain
       - how the main memory works
       - how machine instructions are executed
       - what compilation means
       - why high-level languages should be favored

    We have been teaching this computer at our school
    for three years before the actual programming courses.
    Most students think that it is a useful tool.
    Later on I hope to be able to provide more accurate
    data concerning how the ability to understand this
    imaginary computer corresponds with the ability to
    become a good programmer.

            Kari Laitinen
            School of Engineering
            Oulu University of Applied Sciences, Finland