I googled a bit. The ideal thing would be something that generates RML (ReportLab Markup Language) and then use python's rml2pdf library, but I havent found any graphical RML generator. You could also check "relatorio" and "pod" if you are willing to work with open office. For a tool which uses detail bands, and total, subtotal, and group bands as well as page headers and footers you could check out PollyReports which is not a graphical tool but a python lib which depends on ReportLab, but allows good control for database reports, as for accuracy it works with points (that would be 72 points to an inch), or you could use ReportLab.lib.units which allows you to work in inches, cm, mm and pica.
HTH