On Thursday 02 Aug 2012 00:33, you wrote:
> On 01/08/12 14:35, Roger Bishop Jones wrote:
> > The real challenge (for me at least) is to get xpp
> > and/or emacs to run in the cloud with a display here
> > on earth, I don't have much clue how to do that.
>
> I've been thinking about this.  To me, it seems
> conceptually wrong to be running Xpp remotely.

Mm.
I don't know about "conceptually", but there is a question
here about what problem I am trying to solve.

> Would it
> not make more sense to run a local (earth-based) Xpp
> whose journal window contains a remote ProofPower shell
> (up in the cloud) via e.g. ssh?

If I were just interested in running ProofPower in the cloud
then that would be correct. And this something that one
might like to investigate.  However, my own primary interest
is in whether I could export my entire development
environment into the cloud so that I don't have to worry
when I buy a device whether it will support LINUX and I get
continuity of my development environment independently of
what bits of kit I am buying or disposing of.

> Initially I tried
> testing
>
>    xpp -c ssh -Y user@host
>
> but is seems that the capabilities of Xpp's pseudo
> terminal aren't up to ssh login interaction.  However,
> if you can automatically log in then all is fine.  I
> used the instructions here:
> http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora/17/html/System
> _Administrators_Guide/s2-ssh-configuration-keypairs.html
> to create .ssh/authorized_keys on the remote account to
> allow automatic log in.

Aren't you heading for a situation in which the source files
being edited by Xpp are local but the ProofPower database
which you are augmenting is remote?

I don't see how that would make sense.

I am really looking for a complete X11 framebuffer (is that
what they call it?) which  is is remote, so that not only
Xpp but also other tools like emacs run remotely.
There does seem to be software which does that (e.g. using
"VNC"), but the documentation seems to assume you know a lot
more than I do.
Alternatively X11 forwarding over SSH looks like it allows
any applications you open on the remote host to operate
windows on the local machine (but this is not supposed to
perform very well or to provide robust connections).  These
are the two scenarios I am investigating at the moment,
along with a third which I'm not sure where it fits but which
might be what amazon best supports (because I can see it in
their yum depositories. which seem light on X11 package
groups) viz. Xephyr.

Roger