On 01/08/12 14:35, Roger Bishop Jones wrote:
The real challenge (for me at least) is to get xpp and/or
emacs to run in the cloud with a display here on earth, I
don't have much clue how to do that.

I've been thinking about this. To me, it seems conceptually wrong to be running Xpp remotely. Would it not make more sense to run a local (earth-based) Xpp whose journal window contains a remote ProofPower shell (up in the cloud) via e.g. ssh? Initially I tried testing

  xpp -c ssh -Y user@host

but is seems that the capabilities of Xpp's pseudo terminal aren't up to ssh login interaction. However, if you can automatically log in then all is fine. I used the instructions here:
http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora/17/html/System_Administrators_Guide/s2-ssh-configuration-keypairs.html
to create .ssh/authorized_keys on the remote account to allow automatic log in.

However,

  xpp -c ssh -Y user@host "pp -d zed"

fails to find pp when attempting to run on the remote host, even though the remote account adds the ProofPower home directory to the path in .bash_profile. The issue is that the remote shell is not an interactive shell, so .bash_profile does not get run. Many options here:

1. Specify full remote path, e.g.

  xpp -c ssh -Y user@host \
    "$REMOTEPPHOME/bin/pp -d $REMOTEPPHOME/db/zed"

where REMOTEPPHOME is the ProofPower home directory in the cloud.

2. Source the required environment as part of the command, e.g.

  xpp -c ssh -Y user@host "source .bash_profile; pp -d zed"

3. Add the ProofPower home directory to the path in an rc file (e.g. .bashrc) instead of in a profile file (such as .bash_profile), then just use

  xpp -c ssh -Y user@host "pp -d zed"

For a cloud service, option 3 looks like the best set up.