Matt Pobursky wrote:

> I need some help with a Protel installation problem. I'm guessing some others
> on the list have run into the same problem and have figured out exactly how to
> do this.
>
> My main system has two removable drive bays for C: and D:. I have been running
> Win98SE (on C:) and Protel 99SE SP5 (on D:). I installed Win2K on an additional
> drive C:. Then re-installed all my applications for Win2K. Now I can boot to
> either OS by just changing the C: drive. All works fine, EXCEPT Protel99SE.
>
> Since I had SP5 installed with the Win98SE, I cannot re-install SP5 under
> Win2K, the install program says it's already installed. So I went back to
> Win98SE and uninstalled SP5. Back to Win2K and installed SP5, then Protel99SE
> runs fine in Win2K.
>
> The problem now is that Protel99SE will not run in Win98SE any longer. I get a
> couple different exception errors (from Protel thinking SP5 is NOT installed,
> I'm sure).

I experienced this recently too.

If I recall correctly, I renamed the Protel directory and .exe file in
the Win98 installation, upgraged the Win2000 install, then un-renamed
the Win98 install.

After I did the rename, the service pack installer still found the Win98
installation, but asked me if that was the one I wanted to update.

I suggested to Protel that the installer should _always_ ask if the
target is correct, and give the user a chance to choose another one.

--
Peter Bennett
TRIUMF