Hi Karen,

I can answer the Allegro question - you can't transfer to and from Allegro
directly.  Allegro uses the anachronistic Unix way of doing things in
bits-and-pieces.  There are multiple component library files with multiple
part files for component definitions, etc, etc.

There are ways of translating a finished PCB file, but they involve third
party translation software.  RSI (
http://www.rsi-inc.com/Products/Translation/CADtoCAD/syssupport.html ) has
a translator, and it requires that the Allegro output be specially prepared
on the Allegro end to make the translation to Protel.  You also lose PCB
detail going from Protel to Allegro using this software (split plane info,
polygons, etc).

No automatic schematic translation is available from anyone - as far as I
know.  However, there are netlist translator software packages available,
and some companies make a living translating schematics from one system to
another.

Another thought for moving PCB files from one system to another involves
making CAM files.  You can output and import Gerber and aperture files on
just about any system using either built-in capabilities or relatively
inexpensive software.  With a netlist, Gerber files, and apertures, you
have the whole PCB no matter what EDA package you are using.

Regards - Harry