Bruce,

            Several months ago a company inquired about having some PCB designs done,
they use Orcad 9.0 and wanted to make sure that any work done in Protel could be
translated back into Orcad. We worked with an example file they provided and at first
the PCB's were not properly translated back into
Orcad, there were traces and pads missing. To complicate things the person I work with
at that company does not have much experience translating files, has been busy with
other things so this could only be worked on sporadically and the company does not
have an Orcad maintenance contract. Eventually they
realized that the file we had been working on had originally been created in an old
DOS version of Orcad so they sent a file created in Orcad 9.0. They have reported back
to me that the file now comes in OK with the only problem being that some mechanical
files are combined improperly, I have assumed
that this will require only a minor change in the mapping process. As before the
person has been too busy on other things to pursue it any farther at this point. I can
say that when I visited their site when the pads and traces were coming in improperly
that we did not get any error messages, only a
corrupted board. I am using Protel 99SE SP6.
            I'm tempted to say take Orcad support with a grain of salt and see if you
can figure out what would be causing a pin out of range error. Sorry I can't be of
more help.

                    Frank Langlois

Project Development
P.O. Box 5582