From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Protel EDA Forum" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Friday, March 16, 2001 7:45 AM
Subject: Re: [PEDA] Windows 2000 Professional fatal exception errors

> Hi,
>
> I ran into a problem, which I've reported to Protel, where I would get
fatal exception errors on Win2K.  I don't have the original message so I
don't know if this will apply but here's what I found..

> I had set up the printer for a shematic drawing to use my Epson Color
printer, which happened to be on a Network print server but I don't believe
that has anything to do with this).  Printed the schematic, and some others,
in the DDB just fine.

> Shut down 99SE, the system AND the printer.  Next day I booted up the
Win2K system, but didn't turn the printer on since I wasn't planning on
doing any printing.

> Started 99SE and as it was processing the files in the DDB Kaboom, fatal
exception.  Hmm.. Had to kill 99SE via the Task Manager.  Tried again, same
thing.  Forgot about holding the Ctrl key down to avoid opening files, so I
renamed the DDB to prevent loading it.  Created a new schematic, no
problem..  Figured that the DDB must have been trashed.

> Did some more playing and found that the new schematic would crash when I
attempted to set up the printer for the powered off device!!  Turned on the
Epson printer, renamed the original DDB back and loaded it.  No more
exceptions during loading.

> I was able to duplicate this behaviour with my LaserJet printer also, and
Protel has acknowledged that they have had reports of this problem from
others.

> So, you might want to check to make sure that any printer you used prior
to shutting down 99SE is powered on.  I don't think that it has to be "on
line" but it definitely appears that it must be powered on or you will get
exceptions.

> Hope this is useful..
>
> Burt Bicksler

* To join or leave this list visit: