On Thu, 15 Mar 2001 16:05:52 -0600, Jon wrote:

>Yes, it DOES sound like you are running with too little memory for that sort
>of project.  I'm running on 128 MB too, and know it is on the edge, but my
>projects are generally not quite so complicated.

People do talk rubbish about memory (aj included). I have never seen Protel
use more than 40MB of memory and most of that appears to be for some kind
of background pre-rendering of the PCB display image.

When running short of memory you first get a reduced disk cache size with
slight performance hit and then you start to get swapping with a
progressively larger performance hit - Win2k is crawling with performance
monitoring tools which let you see what is happening.

>by Protel's being locked into a somewhat obsolete programming environment
>for Borland.  Their Delpi environment apparently makes very heavy use on
>Windows resources.

Delphi obsolete? rubbish - Protel use Delphi for the huge productivity
gains it provides. By default Dephi does use a lot of windows resources
which is a problem on win9x but no issue on NT/2k. Protel could quite
easily reduce the resource requirement and should do for win9x users.

For the original poster...

You may have something specific about that design which is upsetting Protel
but it can't be a common problem or others here would be experiencing it.

If it really is the same on other machines then finding something else
common between them might be an indication of where the problem lies.

Cheers, Terry.

* To join or leave this list visit:
*                      - or email -