Hi Gordon,

> mainly because even gross IT people can't conceive of needing more on a non
> shared server. The machine was configured to use 192 megs of virtual memory
> on hard disk, and that was the problem. I increased it to 1024 megs and my
> errors went bye-bye.
>  Everybody here is shaking their heads saying "How can Protel need so
> much memory?". I guess if it needs it, the only lesson learned is give it
> what it wants. Too bad the error message is not trapped and decoded so the
> newbie user can figure out what it wants and what is really wrong here.

Protel still seems to like physical rather than virtual memory -- my recent board had
Windows overhead 110 mb, protel had 731mb in use.    I write C++Builder
software and it never seems to mind whether it has physical or virtual, but protel
does "seem" more stable with 384 mb of physical.  If you had run out of virtual
Win2000 just asks for more, and this happens smoothly -- so I guess the reason is
not fully clear even yet.....
--
Regards,
Gavin Melville,