> At 12:49 PM 4/6/01 +1000, Geoff Harland wrote:
>
> >However, I have been requested by fellow employees to create Acrobat
files
> >in which the pages of Assembly printouts (also) contain searchable text.
> >("There are umpteen hundred components installed on this PCB. Now,
exactly
> >where on the PCB is component R104 installed? ...") To achieve this, I
> >select the option (provided by the Power Print Server) of using *Windows*
> >fonts rather than *Protel* fonts. However, as I have reported previously,
> >both to this forum and directly to Protel, text strings can be displaced
> >(from their actual locations) within the resulting *actual* printouts,
> >*unless* the printout is of a mirrored nature. This means mirroring the
> >entire PCB file to produce (acceptable) Top side Assembly printouts.
> >(Arrrgh!!) :(
>
> I do bottom assembly drawings by making mirrored bottom padmaster and
> bottom legend gerber photoplots and then importing them to an assembly
> drawing layer. I also do this with the top assembly, and I then have top
> and bottom assembly drawings side-by-side on a single assembly drawing.
> (The top assembly is typically co-located with the actual PCB.) It's nice
> that Protel allows pads on mech layers....
>
> Abdulrahman Lomax

That is all very well, but text information is lost when you create Gerber
files and then import them back into Protel again (on a different layer);
each letter within each string gets converted into strokes (within the
Gerber files), and as such, gets converted into "non-text" material. If I
were to then create Acrobat files from such a PCB file, other users would
not be able to search for R104 (say) on the Assembly drawing page(s) while
using Acrobat's (text) searching feature (and that would be the case
regardless of whether I selected the use of Windows fonts or Protel fonts
when producing the printouts concerned).

Re pads on Mechanical layers. Maybe things have changed with SP6, but with
at least some of the earlier versions of Protel 99 SE (and earlier versions
of Protel), each pad on a Mechanical layer would be "flashed" in a Gerber
file if that (Gerber) file was produced from the *same* (Mechanical) layer
that the pad was located on, but would *not* be "flashed" within any Gerber
file produced from any *other* layer (and regardless of whether that
(Mechanical) layer had been selected for inclusion in all Gerber files or
otherwise). That is a trap for the unwary (because *other* types of
primitives on those Mechanical layers do end up within the Gerber files) ...

Regards,
Geoff Harland.
E-Mail Disclaimer

* To join or leave this list visit: