At 03:32 PM 4/6/01 +1000, Geoff Harland wrote:

>That is all very well, but text information is lost when you create Gerber
>files and then import them back into Protel again (on a different layer);
>each letter within each string gets converted into strokes (within the
>Gerber files), and as such, gets converted into "non-text" material. If I
>were to then create Acrobat files from such a PCB file, other users would
>not be able to search for R104 (say) on the Assembly drawing page(s) while
>using Acrobat's (text) searching feature

This is correct. If you want more than graphics, the gerber import method I
use would be less than satisfactory.

However, this is a case where it would not be difficult to write a server
or utility that would place text strings as needed on the mech layer of
choice, from the relevant overlay layer.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Abdulrahman Lomax
P.O. Box 690
El Verano, CA 95433