On Wed, 11 Jul 2001, Ian Wilson wrote:

> If you haven't already created parts lists/manufacturing documentation/test
> reports/design descriptions ....

I've got a PCB layout - I've not yet been brave enough to see if that
would survive a reannotation. I'll have a go.

> BTW - can you confirm that the second annotation would work OK if you had
> not used the suffix?

Yup - works fine both with no per-sheet information, and with a sheet
offset (Rs start at R101 or whatever - I call it allocation offset - may
not be a global term)

> (As an aside - I actually rarely use the annotation tool - even for large
> designs.  I usually want to control the numbering to allow gaps for future
> additions of components (at least in the first rev of a design).

That's one of the nice things that per-sheet allocation gives me. (since
many of my boards have multiple hundreds of passives, manual allocation
has little appeal...)

>  And for
> later revs there is already the manufacturing documentation in existence
> that means we do not want to monkey will all the designators - just as few
> as possible.

Good grief no. BOMming is such a pain, I certainly don't want to do it
again... The gaps left by allocation offsets mean that this is sort of
automatic and painless, though. If there was some way to flag component
IDs as 'soiled, has been used, do not re-use even though component no
longer fitted', that would be nice, to stop additional components slipping
into slots left by components that have been deleted - my manufacturing
people are a lot happier with deletions and addtiions than they are with
replacements.

> But do not read any of this as saying the bug is not an
> important one to fix.)

I'd be grateful.

Cheers,

  Steve