On 08:54 AM 7/24/2001 -0700, Brad Velander wrote:
>Andrew et al,
>         I get the feeling that many people think that there would not be too
>many footprints.

IMO, "too many" is a relative term. 2500 is nothing compared to the discrete number of
components available, footprint(s) aside.

>  How many is not too many? My SMT+ footprint reference has
>2474 footprints and adds at least 50 - 100 per year. ...
>         Additionally there would be the work of documenting such footprints
>and deriving a naming structure. Whew, a lot of work people. Not to mention
>there will be several dozen opinions about how to construct everything based
>upon biases, opinions, experiences and guidelines.

I agree, it would/will be a daunting task, to be sure, but not impossible, by any
means. And, while your ref shows ~2.5K footprints, as you say, many are used by very
few, but also, many are probably also obsolete. (granted, I can't say for sure, but I
have my suspicions...)

As an example, I once created over 100 unique multi-layer Autocad blocks in less than
a day, most of which included much greater levels of detail than the average Protel
block.
Tedious, yes, impossible, no.

However, my main reply point was to the comment "It can't be done". It's an irritating
statement, that I find is most often used by those who are nay-sayers, or those who
are simply trying to use 1st year psychology to goad a person into action by negative
reinforcement.

I simply have an annoying tendency to ramble. <g>

regards,

aj