On 10:23 PM 7/24/2001 -0400, Brian Guralnick wrote:
>email glitch...
>
>     For validation, on the PCB side, I used to place a 'scanned version' in
>a translucent state, of the part over the footprint.  I've been able to find
>and correct many footprint problems in advance using this technique.  If
>such an ability was built into Protel & a copy of the scan was kept with the
>footprint in the library this would help ease proofing of the footprint.

Brian,

Neat idea. However, I have one question: How do you determine the accuracy of the
scan? I expect your scanner has been calibrated...?

>     I don't think that pin 1 should always be center.  For example, SMD LED
>which require placement based on their center of the footprint, or even a
>slight offset which may be by design.

I for one hate the Protel standard of centering components and footprints on pin 1.
It's counter-intuitive and has caused me wasted time.

>     We would need a database sharing tool, like sort a like 'Napster'.  When
>searching for a particular part, a spec column would list:
>     1) user's source of part
>     2) user who entered part, date of entry
>     3) component part number / type / included /
>     4) footprint part number / type / included / metric / imperial / pin1
>center /

Limewire http://www.limewire.com/ is such a possibility, though it's likely that the
readership would prefer a web-page based hosting.

regards,

aj