On Fri, 27 Jul 2001 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> The pin data probably does exist somewhere as a text file or bonding details of
> die pad location ( in x,y ) to pin number on the package. But for manufacturers
> to put these into Protel specific format, its not going to happen soon.

I don't need it in Protel format, just plain text, CSV, Excel, _anything_
more machine readable than pdf, which is people-readable.
I'm prepared to write (or have written) perl / python / whatever proglets,
or even editor macros, to turn the manufacturers info into an ASCII PCB
part - there's no magic to it at all. Typing these things in, over and
over again, is futile, error-prone and dull.

> There is
> possibly a legal implication in providing partial schematic details and if the
> format was a text file of pin numbers and names ready to be imported into CAD
> SCH editors it may not be where the manufacturers want to be involved in.

They want to be involved in selling their products, and having them
work. Xilinx came to terms with this, and it's likely to just be a matter
of time before it's commonplace.

> For high pin count devices the pin data is always in manufacturers data sheets
> as tables spanning  multiple pages and giving pin number, name and details. Im
> speculating here but this could be scanned/ ocr'd and then maybe put in Excel
> and massaged into some sort of format.

But this is a load of reverse engineering that's error prone and futile.

> But the missing link is Protel providing an easy and workable schematic editor
> able to import some form of this data. Another one for Mr Protel.

To be honest, I'm happy with what we've got. ASCII libraries are fine.

Steve