Bob:
I hear ya loud and clear.  I am an old Tango Dos user and I have also used
just about every other CAD program under the sun over the last 15 years, but
really when Protel is setup the way you want and you stick with the same
procedures then it runs very smooth.  I have just completed 2 more designs
this week with Protel and even with some of the "quirks" I still think it is
tops for its calibre of CAD packages.

And if my memory servers me correct I think I did the same as you on my
first Protel layout so dont feel too bad.  One thing I found is that there
are a lot of seemingly "undocumented" features and shortcuts that you just
have to learn by trial and error.

Regards,
Gary Allbee
Alta Industrial Automation Ltd