Brian:

Actually, I think the neural autorouter does have to be trained.  My first
experience with Protel's autorouter was when it was a separate product
(Advanced Route 3.1).  I seem to remember the manual saying the autorouter
had to be trained after the software was installed on the PC.  The training
consisted of autorouting several reference designs.  Maybe now they ship it
pre-trained in the 99SE kernel.

On the hardware side of things, Intel may have abandoned the technology if
they saw it as a threat to their existing products.  Just think how many
Pentiums they would not have sold if they had introduced that neural net
chip!  They will probably introduce the neural net chip again when their
conventional CPU designs have hit the limits of physics and the fabs require
more $ than the U.S. GDP to build.  Which strategy makes more money:

1)  Introduce new technology now.  Your old technology dies almost
immediately.  You make $$$.
2)  Introduce new technology years from now.  In the meanwhile, you can make
$$$ from pumping your old technology.  Then you can make $$$ from the new
tech.  You make $$$ x 2.

It's called "planned obsolesence", and it makes the biz world turn!  It also
makes people wait for the good stuff, and fills up the landfills.

Best regards,
Ivan Baggett
Bagotronix Inc.
website:  www.bagotronix.com