> The autorouter is old technology, we need to remember. It was not written
> to handle arcs, nor does it handle the full rule set, far from it, and it
> also gets a little crazy with off-grid pads. One of the recent service
> packs added a warning to design rules that are not respected by the
router.

> The autorouter is a relatively good router within its limitations,
> especially considering the price; we understand from Protel staff comments
> at recent PCB Design Conferences that the coming router upgrade will be
far
> more rule-compliant as well as better and more powerful in other ways.

My thoughts on the autorouter.  Interesting that Abdul thinks the autorouter
is old technology.  The router is based on neural net technology from the
Neurorouter company that Protel acquired several years ago.  Neural nets are
AI, and AI is the future, right?  ;-)

The autorouter is astoundingly fast.  It definitely does not always obey the
rules, however.  I suppose this comes with the AI territory.  After all, one
of the characteristics of AI is to selectively ignore rules which prevent
achievement of the goals, if the goals cannot be achieved by strict
compliance with the rules (see Asimov's three rules of robotics).  I wish
the autorouter was smarter about when it is really necessary to disobey the
rules, and which rules carry the least adverse consequences of violation.
Still, I look forward to the autorouter improvements.

Best regards,
Ivan Baggett
Bagotronix Inc.
website:  www.bagotronix.com