At 03:16 PM 9/18/01 -0500, you wrote:
>if one was to use a hole for mounting the PCB to a fixture, they might put
>plated through holes around the mounting hole for reinforcement. The extra
>copper in the vias around the hole would support more pressure in that area.
>I have never implemented this in a design, but I have seen articles on it.

Adding holes will remove compressive strength. Mr. Velander gave a good
reason for adding the via, which is to provide redundant connection in case
the main hole wall connection is broken, say by abrasion from a screw.

The plated copper in the hole barrel is very weak, the fiberglass would
resist crushing much better.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Abdulrahman Lomax
Easthampton, Massachusetts USA