At 04:36 PM 11/9/01 -0500, Bagotronix Tech Support wrote:
>What a huge mass of confusion this ATS nonsense has caused.

Yes, the announcement was *very* badly done. The Press Release was directly
contradicted by USA Protel sales.

I'd suggest that Altium *communicate* -- this means back and forth -- with
the users about plans *before* making a full public announcements. There
would be no harm in making an announcement here on this list a couple of
days before it goes out to everyone and his brother. Altium could say, "we
are thinking of doing this" -- i.e., they have decided to do it but before
it is 100% final they want to see what we think -- and then any misgivings
or questions that we have could be *answered*, not only here, but then in
the press release and major announcement. We *express* our displeasure,
most users won't. They will just have one more reason to go somewhere else
for CAD software. Too much of that, it could really hurt. It *has* hurt.

There is *still* chaos, the resale market for 99SE is in confusion; if
someone buys a second-hand SE license now, will they have to pay another
$2000 to get the next version? We had been thinking it would be about
$1000. So suddenly, from the announcement, the resale price -- which Altium
sales has been trying to increase, at least by asking me -- informally --
to work to that end -- drops $1000, from about $6000 to $5000.

We had all this discussion here, and not a peep from any Protel rep. Sure,
we are used to relative silence from them, but generally when we go too far
off into the ozone, Protel CSC has popped in with corrections. This time,
nothing.

Sometimes I wonder if the Altium sales people are professionals.... They
seem intelligent enough when I talk to them. But something is wacky about
the situation.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Abdulrahman Lomax
Easthampton, Massachusetts USA