At 09:03 PM 11/12/01 +1100, Ian Wilson wrote:
>>"If you have Protel99SE purchased prior to October 1st then the enhanced ATS
>>support services are free for the next 12 months.  This does not include
>>software upgrades.  Based on our current pricing the upgrade to "P2002" (for
>>want of a name) will be approximately $2195.  This upgrade will include 12
>>months ATS."

This is, I understand, in Australian dollars and includes VAT (tax).
Correct me if I am wrong. What's the current US dollar exchange rate?

What was the first P98 to P99 upgrade price in Australian dollars?

Yes, this may be a doubling of what we have paid over the last two years,
but only because there has not been an upgrade in that period. If Protel
issues major upgrades every year, then this may well be about the right price.

The devil is in the details, however. I hope that Protel clears this up soon!

For readers popping in without having followed the ATS discussion, the
above represents only Australian pricing and policy; policy and pricing
*may* differ elsewhere.

The exact impact of the pricing structure may well depend on whether or not
Protel issues a major upgrade in the year following the announcement of
"Protel 2002." If so, then we will be getting *two* upgrades for the price,
and we will still be able to claim that Protel has low maintenance costs.
But the price of the *next* upgrade, assuming that they come once per year,
will have doubled. This is a lot of time in which to discuss the matter
with Protel and for Protel to adjust policies if necessary.

I'm not sure that I like this, it is more unstable and uncertain. Sure, it
will become easy to predict and budget costs, but not cost/benefit. We can,
as matters stand, decide when the benefit is sufficient *for us* to justify
the price, there are no surprises. (A surprise might be that the next
upgrade really adds no features that we need; under the present system we
simply would not buy it if money was an issue for us.)

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Abdulrahman Lomax
Easthampton, Massachusetts USA