On 10:07 AM 13/11/2001 -0800, Michael Elliott said:
>Hi all,
><..snip..>
>However, I do have the occasional small low-speed digital board I need to
>do and was wondering if Protel ever offered any kind of supplemental
>shape-based or more advanced type of router for PCB3. I know that they did
>for 2.5 and 2.8, but can't find any mention of such in the online manuals
>for PCB3.
>
>If they did, it might be useful to me. If anyone has a copy to sell (and if
>it is within the terms of the Protel license agreement to do so), or knows
>where I might buy one, please drop me a note at [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
>Best regards,
>
>Mike Elliott

Mike,

They did offer Adv Route3.  I bought it.  It was not worth the price.  The
router did a reasonable job on some boards and a shocker on others. It had
very poor copper sharing, so it would run a stringer from virtually every
SM to gnd and a separate pad even if they were right next to each
other.  Then at other times it would run massive great power nets across
the board even though it was a multi-layer board (with internal
planes).  These would block routing channels and it would choke.  I found
in one design that was moderately complex that it achieved good completion
but required masses of manual clean-up to look any good at all and to allow
a few changes.

I have no idea whether I have already upgraded against this license (Protel
would be able to tell me). If I have it is not for sale. If not I can
upgrade to the a full current suite on this license.  So the price for the
router alone would be the discount between a full current version Protel
and the upgrade price.  This is quite a few thousand.  You can do a fair
bit of simple manual routing for that esp when you consider that you will
have to spend a lot of time cleaning up anyway.  You may find that some of
the very cheap PCB packages have better routers these days, anyway, that
could be integrated into your design flow.  You may also find that someone
with a copy of Specctra will run the job for you (for a price) - there are
companies offering this service. This saves you the considerable learning
curve and iteration I found necessary to get AdvRoute3 working.   Or just
lay them out manually.

Ian Wilson