At 02:04 PM 11/13/01 -0600, Mark E Witherite wrote:
>    I've been monitoring this thread and would like to know isn't any one
> worried about delamination of the PCB?  I've had at lease 3 board houses
> flag me  about extending the copper all the way to the board edge.

I suppose the board material-copper bond might not be as strong as the
board material bonded to itself. Since I have never made a board with
copper to the very edge (I have done extra plating on an internal slot) I
don't have any experience with such a board delaminating. Essentially, the
idea would be that a crack could get started at the edge, particularly if
the whole edge were weak.

However, the process as I suggested it would leave a few areas of no-copper
at the edges where the tabs were. One likely place for some of these tabs
would be the corner of the board. So there would be no place for the crack
to start.

IPC-2222 explicitly allows "ground and heat sink planes to extend to the
edge when required by design." (p.20)

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Abdulrahman Lomax
Easthampton, Massachusetts USA