At 06:56 PM 8/11/01 -0500, you wrote:
>P99SE SP6, PCB Editor
>
>With Top Solder Mask and Outline (I name Mechanical 1 "Outline") enabled,
>as initially displayed, with Outline being the current layer, only actual
>primitives on the Solder Mask and Outline layers are displayed. The
>calculated solder mask pads are not displayed.
>
>If one clicks on the Top Solder Mask tab to make it the current layer, the
>pads are displayed.
>
>If one then hits View/Refresh, top surface pads disappear, only
>through-hole pads continue to be displayed.
>
>If one makes Outline the current layer and then changes back to Top Solder
>Mask, the surface pads reappear.
>
>I could find no way to display any surface mount solder mask pads with Top
>Solder Mask as the only enabled layer. In this case, only through-hole
>solder mask pads appear.

I suspect that we have all seen this sort of behavior in various
conditions, it is irritating.  It is certainly worth bringing it up so it
can be discussed and Altium may make it an official bug.

I think that there is some relationship here with the fact that multi-layer
is a layer rather than a collection of other layers (subtle difference) but
it has significant ramifications during the various combinations and
permutations of display configuration.

I think I would like to be able to define named collections of layers that
can be used during pad stack creation and display manipulation.  With this
technique, multi-layer as an explicit layer is no longer needed - it merely
becomes a layer collection consisting of all copper layers.  Any pros or
cons for this idea.

Ian Wilson