At 02:12 PM 11/13/01 -0800, Dwight wrote:
>(1) I also open 2 revisions of the same design not infrequently, which
>therefore have matching schematic sheet names, and would be horrified to
>find Protel changing the one that I was NOT working on at the time!

Note that if the old revision is read-only, the copy in memory *might* get
edited, I don't know, I haven't tried, but the actual file is safe from Protel.

Having two files with the same name open at the same time is not good food
to feed many programs, not only Protel. If full path information is
checked, it should be okay, but full path information is often missing. For
example, full path information is not present in the hierarchical schematic
names. Protel might make an assumption that the file you want is in the
same .ddb, but apparently it does not, or does not always do this.

Because of the global editing function, it is a matter of a few seconds to
change all hierarchical filename references to add or change a suffix. The
most tedious part of changing a set of schematic filenames within Protel is
changing the actual filenames, not the references, and that is not
difficult, a few keystrokes per schematic.

One could also export the whole database and use external commands to
change all the filenames, but it would have to be one very complex
schematic to make that worthwhile. Gad, it has been a long time since I
have done a wildcard renaming in DOS!

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Abdulrahman Lomax
Easthampton, Massachusetts USA