Michael there really is no need to do all that.
Simply select the bits you want to copy in the schematic, use the schematic
copy function (don't forget to set a reference location) and only the
selected bits are sent to the windows clipboard ready for pasting.

If you don't want the title block and rest of the template to copy as well,
uncheck Tools/Preferences/Graphical Editing/Add template to clipboard.