At 11:44 AM 11/14/01 -0500, Fred A Rupinski wrote:
>I would like to use a 3D rendering of a prototype PCB for a project
>proposal. The rendering displays abnormal looking components at custom
>footprint locations. This is completely unacceptable for a professional
>proposal. Using 99SE SP6, can anyone tell me how I can generate realistic
>custom components for use in 3D renderings?

The 3D viewer is a demonstration, a proof of concept, not a mature tool. I
think it was a mistake for Protel to have marketed it; these things, if
people are led to believe that they are seriously useful, backfire.

In other words, if they lead someone to buy the program, Protel is going to
have one angry user when he realizes he's been sold a pig in a poke. I
suppose they hope that the user will be hooked by that time. Maybe. Maybe
he goes away mad and never again considers Protel or Altium and tells a
hundred of his friends the story.

Most importantly, we do not appear to have access to the models. If we did,
it could definitely be useful. Qalecad is recommended if you need this now
(another has posted a URL). I consider it likely that Protel will provide
us model access in the next release, but I don't know this for a fact.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Abdulrahman Lomax
Easthampton, Massachusetts USA