----- Original Message -----
From: "Abd ul-Rahman Lomax" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Protel EDA Forum" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Thursday, November 15, 2001 8:43 PM
Subject: Re: [PEDA] Using 3D

........................... those
> of us who have upgraded to 99SE are quite happy that we did. We are
> realistically aware that someone with a bad attitude toward honesty and
> full disclosure appears to have some authority with Protel marketing, but
> we do not toss out the baby with the bathwater. Protel 99SE is truly an
> advance over earlier versions, and those who adopted it early have done
well.

This does not excuse the 3D issue and other problems with 99SE that
Protel/Altium has stonewalled. Protel's good qualities do not need to be
defended. Protel's faults do not deserve to be defended. Users do themselves
a disservice if they do not complain about faulty software......loudly.
Moreover, the arrogant lack of ethics shown by certain vendors who sell
software with known bugs should raise a howl that is not only heard in the
vendors' boardrooms, but also in legislative halls (don't forget UCITA has
been furtively looming behind the scenes - see IEEE "The Institute" November
2001 Vol 25  No 11).

> We are concerned about the ATS program because it appears to represent a
> very significant increased maintenance cost, but this is a long-term
> concern. The immediate costs are likely to be reasonable, i.e., the P99SE
> to P2002 upgrade which will include a year's ATS.

My business is helping clients with new product R&D, which comprises
analysis, electronic design, firmware development, prototype development,
and delivering the associated documentation. I use SPICE about 15% of the
time. I use PCB layout about 10% of the time. The PCBs are for prototypes
that clients build to test and refine their new products. Some serve as the
basis for production boards, which I don't do. Since  I use Protel only
about 25% of the time, I cannot justify $US1995 a year. Furthermore, when I
crank up Protel, I need it to faithfully execute the tasks it is SPECIFIED
to do......no bugs, no lockups, no excuses, no lies, no money pit!

Regards,
Fred A Rupinski