At 02:23 PM 11/15/01 -0500, Paul Hutchinson wrote:
> >They boast about this feature in the full pages ads in EE Times as well as
>on the web site. The advertising of this feature almost got me to upgrade.
>Fortunately I've learned to never trust anything Protel/Altium says and, the
>talk on this forum about the uselessness of the 3D viewer confirmed my
>suspicion that it was just marketing fluff.

*However*, if Mr. Hutchinson will watch this list, he may note that those
of us who have upgraded to 99SE are quite happy that we did. We are
realistically aware that someone with a bad attitude toward honesty and
full disclosure appears to have some authority with Protel marketing, but
we do not toss out the baby with the bathwater. Protel 99SE is truly an
advance over earlier versions, and those who adopted it early have done well.

Given what we are quite sure is coming, $1995 for upgrade from Protel 98 is
a bargain and $3995 for upgrade from earlier versions is not bad. Protel
*is* worth its current retail price of $7995, in my view. It is more than
hobbyists can afford, but anyone who is seriously involved with design, who
is trying to make a living with it, is advised to realize that the
productivity features make it worth the price.

We are concerned about the ATS program because it appears to represent a
very significant increased maintenance cost, but this is a long-term
concern. The immediate costs are likely to be reasonable, i.e., the P99SE
to P2002 upgrade which will include a year's ATS.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Abdulrahman Lomax
Easthampton, Massachusetts USA