On 11/14/01 I asked:
"I would like to use a 3D rendering of a prototype PCB for a project
proposal. The rendering displays abnormal looking components at custom
footprint locations. This is completely unacceptable for a professional
proposal. Using 99SE SP6, can anyone tell me how I can generate realistic
custom components for use in 3D renderings?"

On 11/15/01 Altium responded:
"It is not possible to manually define the 3D model that Protel will use to
represent your custom made components at this time.  There are third-party
tools that may be helpful in this task.  The companies that I am aware of
that offer these tools are . http://www.qualecad.com/  and
http://www.desktop-eda.com.au/";

Too bad. I finally found a worthwhile application for 3D renderings, and I
can't use it. What bothers me is that (then) Protel told me over a year ago
that
there would be a 99SE technique made available to depict user generated 3D
components.

To pursue this further means time and money out the window, so I decided to
get by with the lame approach, that is, to display the 3D PCB without the
components.

Finally, I would like to thank those who provided their suggestions and
comments via the PEDA Forum.

Regards,
Fred A Rupinski