> It's possible.  PC hardware can exhibit problems.  In all
> those MB of RAM,
> if a few bits flake out, it can crash a program.  New PCs are on the
> absolute bleeding edge, which means some blood (and sweat and
> tears) is
> bound to be spilt somewhere.  If Protel is the largest app
> (with your design
> file loaded) you run on that PC, it could be using an area of
> RAM that is
> not fit for use.  Instead of running the latest 2 GHz P++,
> maybe you should
> try it on an older, slower PC.  The most advanced PC I have
> right now is a
> W2K/SP2 dual-PIII 1.0 GHz with 512MB PC133 and a Matrox G450
> video card.
> Rock stable - but then I haven't done any Protel jobs as huge
> as the one you
> are doing.
>
> Protel 99SE has plenty of bugs and quirks.  But no program,
> no matter how
> good, can overcome a marginal, overclocked, metastable,
> negative-timing-margin PC.

Please note that the "older, slower PC" that a lot of people have sitting
around was a "bleeding edge" machine when it was new.  For this
recommendation to work, it seems that one would have to try the software on
a "slow" system built out of more modern "fast" components.  I seem to
recall recommendations against overclocking 286 systems because it could
lead to flaky results.

The contents of this E-mail may contain information that is legally
privileged and/or confidential to the named recipient. This information is
not to be used by any other person and/or organisation. The views expressed
in this document do not necessarily reflect those of the company.